Monday, April 30, 2007

No Safe Place

Okay so I was going to write about the events of this weekend, but as I was logging in, a story came on the television that I can't ignore.
As Lessley probably knows by now, a kid warming up for baseball game on Saturday at Canal Little League fields was touched inappropriately.

Now this may not seem that out of place to most people but I used to live right next to those fields and it just so happens that I was there on Saturday.

And before anybody gets the idea to make a stupid joke, the guy was between 28-38 and driving a big pickup truck with lettering on the side. Anyone who knows me knows that I drive a tiny mini cooper and I have no side burns.
But back to the point, I have two issues with this, A) is no place safe & B) where were the parents.
A) I lived literally next door to those fields not two years ago and I have known for years that that is far from a safe place. I had people try to mug me twice while I was walking through there to or from People's Plaza, I saw countless people with prostitutes in cars, condoms and needles strewn across the ground, drug dealers doing business, and even discovered a car being torched after being involved in a murder once. Why is it that in the five years that I lived there and the two years since, no one figured out that there was a problem. I know that it can be hard to help these things but how hard could it be to have a cop or people's plaza security officer do a drive through once an hour or so. Peoples plaza bought or is in the process of buying it last i heard so they should be willing to help. Don't you think some kind of authority presence would deter incidences like this.
B)Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you wouldn't drop your kid off at an inner city park for a few hours so why would you do it at a park that is just as bad because it was in the suburbs. The kids are obviously safe when parents or coaches are around but its not the kind of place I would like to be alone and I'm fairly capable of taking care of myself.
Anyway, I just think that his is a terrible thing that shouldn't have happened, and I'm extra concerned because I grew up around those fields.